Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Milwaukee Metal

On my recent trip to Wisconsin, post successful marathon, I was kindly invited into the studio of the sculptor Richard Taylor. He had told me on the phone that he had a lot of works in progress, and he wasn't kidding. The industrial building just north of downtown was chock-a-block full of his metal pieces, wall and free-standing, indoor and outdoor, natural rusted steel to painterly distressed to shocking bright. Here are some of the highlights:
Freestanding totem pieces. I think I can move these!
From a series of public sculptures he executed. This one was built on spec and is primed, ready to be painted a color of choice and placed somewhere magnificent!
A guardian figure watching over the studio and lending some creative juju from time to time
Richard discusses his art and process
Good motto!

No comments:

Post a Comment