Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On My Soapbox About Scale

Everyone has their pet peeves, little things that don't register as annoying to the average person but drive one particular human being absolutely batty: too short pants guy, gum smacking woman, loud cell phone talking teen (well, that one buggers just about everyone).We all have them. 

Here is one of mine: incorrectly scaled artwork. You can have the most magnificent painting, ceramic, sculpture, mixed media piece, whatever for a space, but if the size is not right, the piece is not right. The room will feel all wrong. In my job I work mostly in corporate settings. Think big walls, long hallways. I typically need large art pieces to fill these areas and do my best not to compromise where scale is concerned. I often tell my clients that I would rather hold off on obtaining a piece for a space if they cannot afford the correct size. I mean it.

As you can imagine, I loved turning the corner to enter Artist X's dining room area and glimpsing the following piece by his contemporary, the painter Eric Corrigan. The jumbo scale works splendidly!

 
Sleuth Clue: Eric Corrigan shows at the same Golden Triangle Denver gallery as Artist X.

No comments:

Post a Comment